Zinc8 Energy Solutions is developing a range of energy storage products based on a novel zinc-air flow battery technology. An expanding market for these products exists in utility, commercial, industrial, microgrid and similar applications. With powerful backing and a committed engineering nucleus, Zinc8 is expanding its product development team to capitalize on this rare opportunity.
We are looking for an Intermediate Mechanical Engineer to join the Mechanical Packaging Team. The successful candidate will use their strong technical skills to contribute to the design and delivery of Zinc8’s next generation product. This position reports to the Mechanical Engineering Manager. Specific experience related to batteries, fuel cells and flow batteries is not required.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Work with the Packaging Team to develop the next generation of Zinc8’s Energy Storage System battery module
- Apply mechanical engineering machine design principles including but not limited to material selection, determining loads, analyzing forces, resolving stresses, vibration analysis, buckling, factor of safety and fastener selection
- Provide design support, engineering drawings, assembly and fabrication drawings for the containerized system, structural frames, chemical containment vessels, process piping, fluidization mixers, and electronics enclosures
- Provide equipment and instrumentation specifications for component selection
- Prepare 3D CAD models, BOMs, engineering drawings according to ASME Y14.5 standard and Zinc8’s internal standards using SolidWorks 2022
- Prepare drawings for fabrication and assembly
- Participate in prototype builds
- Perform functional testing and performance validation testing
- Provide troubleshooting support during battery testing and commissioning
- Support mechanical documentation and maintenance procedures
- Perform service activities on prototype batteries
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering
- 5 years of mechanical design and product development experience
- Experience working in product development and fabrication environments
- Excellent 3D design and 2D CAD drawing skills
- Proficiency in using SolidWorks to design components and assemblies, and generate detailed drawings for fabrication and assembly
- Experience sourcing components according to design requirements
- Mechanical aptitude, hands-on ability, and can-do attitude
- Excellent English oral and written communication and documentation skills
- Ability to occasionally lift 50 lbs
- Registered or eligible for registration as EIT or P. Eng with EGBC. If the successful candidate is an EIT, they will be directly supervised by a P.Eng. registered in BC
- Demonstrated effective use of FEA for mechanical and thermal analysis
- Experience designing for corrosive environments
- Experience navigating industry codes and standards
We offer a competitive salary with generous benefits. We promote an open and inclusive environment in which our colleagues are encouraged to be creative and resourceful.
Due to the high volume of applications we receive, only those shortlisted will be contacted. Thank you for your interest in career opportunities at Zinc8 Energy Solutions Inc..
We are an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, ancestry, place of origin, religion, family status, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, sex, age, sexual orientation, political belief, or conviction of a criminal or summary conviction offense unrelated to their employment.